Author Topic: freeBMD, now with Images !!!!!  (Read 8063 times)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
freeBMD, now with Images !!!!!
« on: Tuesday 29 June 04 12:41 BST (UK) »
freeBMD is now offering the facility to look at (and download) images of BMD indexes. like 1837online but for FREE !

The facility is new, and will be improved in time, but even now, it's still great !

Found this out through GenesReunited, which seems to have a bit of a bad press here, but also has it's good points.

The users there have reported some difficulties, viewing images, so it may be your browser needs TIF, GIF or JPG plug-ins. Try it and see !

Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re:freeBMD, now with Images !!!!!
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 June 04 16:02 BST (UK) »
Some more information:

the images are sometimes in TIFF, which you can download, or GIF, which the browser shows directly. If these are too large for your browser, right click on the image area, and "save as ..." to a file, which you can then examine, using irfanview, paint, etc
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline jaq

• RootsChat Senior
  • willing to share resources
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 June 04 21:08 BST (UK) »
do you mean the
http://freebmd.rootsweb.com  ? i went there today and GenesReunited but couldnt see the information   ???

please post the  link

jaq
Appleby Appleton Bass Dewey Dilks ELEY Fox Foy Frankland Furnivall Hammond Hume lawrence Lewis Manning Moody Muschamp Peck Plumley Spalding Spencer Thurston Watson Willsher Wright Youngs
---
Balls Barker Burton Cambridge Cook Dow Freeman Goody Harrington Mitchell Mitson Penn*ck Playford Smith

Offline ~meg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 29 June 04 21:18 BST (UK) »
Jaq, I just linked through on your posting and it came up all right.  The heading is 'View Images', just right of the 'Search' button.
meg

"Assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit"

Offline jaq

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 June 04 22:53 BST (UK) »
yippee do dah, thanks for that 8)  meh
i can see now i have my glasses on :)
jaq
Appleby Appleton Bass Dewey Dilks ELEY Fox Foy Frankland Furnivall Hammond Hume lawrence Lewis Manning Moody Muschamp Peck Plumley Spalding Spencer Thurston Watson Willsher Wright Youngs
---
Balls Barker Burton Cambridge Cook Dow Freeman Goody Harrington Mitchell Mitson Penn*ck Playford Smith

Offline jaq

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re:freeBMD, now with Images VIRUS ALERT!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 29 June 04 23:22 BST (UK) »
oh dear, i downloaded a scan from freebmd and my VIRUS WARE kicked in. Apparently it picked up "JAVA BYTEVER.A"
infected file was DUMMY. CLASS [a tif named "choose.tif"]

jaq
---

Offline bel_jon68

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 30 June 04 21:33 BST (UK) »
I'm not having much luck either!  The image opens up OK but in a new browser window and it seems to be a  QuickTime file.  The text is too small to read and I cannot 'save as' to another program.  I've tried using the windows magnifier tool, but the resolution of the scan makes it impossible to read.

Any ideas anyone??

Thanks

Bel

Researching
ARTHUR, ROBERTS, LEWIS and WILLIAMS in Denbighshire/Merionethshire/Glamorgan
EVANS and JONES in Montgomeryshire
FALLOW(E)S, JONES, PREECE and GITTON in Shropshire
and the list keeps growing...
(March 2006) Now looking for HINKS, SPARKES, INGRAM from West Midlands area

Offline Jaki

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 01 July 04 03:12 BST (UK) »

When I accessed the images on my computer at home using XP it opened in a new browser window, as a quicktime file.

When i accessed it at work using 98 it prompted me to save the image and i was able to enlarge it to view it better.  ???

Don't know if that has anything to do with it.

Jaki
<i>OK Charles Henry Kingwell when did you arrive in Australia????</i><br /><b>Coates</b> - Warwickshire, Staffordshire??<br /><b>Hall</b> - Warwickshire, Yorkshire<br /><b>Hirst</b> - Yorkshire<br /><b>Kingwell, Bulley, Bunce</b> - Devon<br /><b>Sample</b> - Northumberland, Durham<br /><b>Shipp</b> - Gloucester<br /><b>MacGillivray, Grant, Forbes, McBean</b> - Scotland

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 01 July 04 07:30 BST (UK) »
There has been a lively correspondence about this on GenesReunited, which is where I found the first reference to freeBMD images.

Some people seem to have no problems at all, others have one or more of the above mentioned, and/or other problems. I personally have had absolutely no problems, right from the off - maybe it's the browser settings, plug-ins, I don't know.

For those less fortunate, I am including three peoples' postings here, in the hopes that others will profit from them:

Posting 1:
-------------
It seems that some of the pages (mainly newer ones) are .tiff files....when I do the last selection on the pages to select...I get the option to save or open the file...I can . to file and view it later..

But.....

With some of the earlier stuff, the files are .gif files.....my browser tries to open these directly...and probably because they are quite large, I don't see much..apart from a bit of the image in the left hand side of my browser....

So if you then click on this part of the image, and then do a right click with your mouse...you get a menu which allows you to do a "Save picture as" ...you can then . to your pc....I did this as a bitmap (.bmp) file...which you can then view using "Paint" or another application like that...

Hope you understand all that...but it does work if you

Posting 2:
-------------
If your computer is using QuickTime to open TIF files, then you won't have the option to zoom into the image, print or save the image. If you'd like to zoom into the image, print and save the image, then follow these instructions...

1. Close your Internet browser.

2. Make sure you have the latest QuickTime Player installed on your computer.

To do this, click Start Menu > Programs > QuickTime > QuickTime Updater. The software will update itself. If QuickTime is already up-to-date, a dialogue box appears saying its up-to-date and you click the Quit button.

3. Double-click the icon for QuickTime Player. If you don't have this icon, click Start Menu > Programs > QuickTime > QuickTime Player.

4. Click the Edit menu, Preferences, QuickTime Preferences.

5. From the drop-down menu, select "Brower plug-in" and click the MIME Settings button.

6. Click the "+" sign to the left of "Images - Still image files". Look for the option "TIFF image file" and remove the tick in the box. Click the Apply button and OK button. Close QuickTime Settings and close QuickTime Player.

7. Open your Internet browser and type in the web address for FreeBMD. When you select the image you want to download, a dialogue box may appear with the options: Open, Save, Cancel and More Info.

Click the "Open" button and wait a couple of seconds for the image to open. When the image does open, you will notice a toolbar with a zoom in/out button and options to save and print.

Posting 3:
-------------
Each image is going to be anything from 128KB to 756KB in size depending upon which type of file format has been used and how it was scanned. The majority of later-dated files are TIFF files and earlier ones were GIF. So if you have dial-up modem access expect it to take some time to download.

I'm not sure what problems people are having but the sequence is to select the option and click SUBMIT query repeating as further options appear. You may well see a "?" at some stage particularly where you would expect a list of letters indicating surname starting letter(s). If so, select it and still continue. Finally you will come to a list of files starting with the year, a letter signifying the type of record (b=birth etc), a number indicating the quarter and finally a sequential number. You can only process one image page at a time so you will have to guess where your person is if the list is unsorted (that is where ? was shown).

Then you should be asked whether you want to open or save the file. The obvious one is to save for later. This has nothing to do with internet explorer security settings and will not block the question even if you have a firewall running. Whether you open directly or from a saved file, then you should use a suitable viewing package. The best and free one is IRFANView which will open up all the indicated file types. In that software you can rotate images, zoom in/out, print etc.
----------------------------------------------

Good Luck, everybody,
Bob