Poll

Would you like to have your website on RootsChat?

YES please
102 (51.5%)
NO thank you
8 (4%)
I'd like to, but don't know how
88 (44.4%)

Total Members Voted: 197

Author Topic: Your free Webpages on RootsChat.com?  (Read 22256 times)

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
Your free Webpages on RootsChat.com?
« on: Tuesday 22 June 04 22:36 BST (UK) »
Hello RootsChatters,

We are looking to provide free webspace on RootsChat for RootsChatters to place their web sites. We are not quite ready yet, but we are trying to gauge your interest.

This will be open to any registered user on RootsChat.

Our main criteria will be that your site will need to be related to family or local history (or of interest to family or local historians), and that no advertising links are placed on the pages.

The user can be a company, individual, group or society... and you can advertise your own products or services (again related to history) on the pages if you wish.

The format of the webspace address will be something like:
www.rootschat.co.uk/history/mypages
(where the 'mypages' is changed to the title of your website)

Would this be of interest to anybody?

(Please feel free to reply to this message with some idea of what you might use the RootsChat webspace for)
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
Re:Your free Webpages on RootsChat.com?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 June 04 21:49 BST (UK) »
Some questions answered:

Q: Can I have more than just one web page?
Yes, you can build a site with LOTS of pages, we don't have a strict limit on the number of pages so you can build a large website.

Q: Will you put popups on my pages?
No, we will not put popups on any of your pages, nor will we open popups when people leave your web pages.

Q: Will you put any adverts on our pages?
We don't plan to put adverts on any pages.  BUT... if we find that 'bandwidth'  becomes a problem then we may ask for our adverts relevant to family and local history are shown to cover costs to keep things free.

Q: Will it always stay free then?
Yes

Q: Can you help us set up a web page?
We can put you in touch with volunteers willing to help you if you wish. However, at this stage, because this is a totally free service we cannot offer support. We are however human, and if you ask really nicely then perhaps we can help you. ;)

Q: We already have a website, but would like to move it over to RootsChat, can you help us?
In most cases yes, that won't be a problem.

Q: What's the catch?
We ask that you mention RootsChat, say that it's really useful (etc..) and put a link to us. :) :)

Q: How 'safe' will our  webpages be?
RootsChat is on its very own server in a very secure datacentre. Data is backed up automatically every day to another location, and our 'firewall' is maintained by a team of professionals. (We do however ask that you keep a copy of your own website on your own computer in the event of failure.)

Q: Who has copyright of my web pages?
You do.

Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline twink

• I am sorry but my email address is not working at the moment.
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Researching family history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 June 04 23:14 BST (UK) »
I'd be interested.  :)
Peters / Breden / Breeds / Evans + more, Garner / Ensbury / Beaver / Burgess + more, Elrick / Giles / Salmon / Parsons + more, Lucas / Webster / Austin / Chopping + more

Offline jaq

• RootsChat Senior
  • willing to share resources
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 July 04 12:11 BST (UK) »
I'd be interested.Posted by: twink

me too, especially if it has an idiots guide   ;D

jaq
Appleby Appleton Bass Dewey Dilks ELEY Fox Foy Frankland Furnivall Hammond Hume lawrence Lewis Manning Moody Muschamp Peck Plumley Spalding Spencer Thurston Watson Willsher Wright Youngs
---
Balls Barker Burton Cambridge Cook Dow Freeman Goody Harrington Mitchell Mitson Penn*ck Playford Smith

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 July 04 12:42 BST (UK) »
And I makes more.  I have a half written site.  I've used it to teach myself html writing, from scratch.  I wish I hadn't...

P ;D
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Offline Adi1962

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 02 July 04 13:51 BST (UK) »
I already have my own site, but would like to have my Family history hosted with you, if you don't mind a link from my main site as well.

I am also more than happy to offer help and advise to anyone wishing to build their own pages.

Adrian
Currently researching
GODDEN, MARSH, WATERS & HUGHES Mid Kent
BUSHROD Mid Kent/Dorset,
FURMINGER Aylesford/Maidstone/Sittingbourne - Kent

visit http://www.Kent-opc.org

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline anne

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 02 July 04 18:23 BST (UK) »
I would also like a web site but dont know how to start.Would i be able to put all the info on for certain names that i have researched over the past 3 years,its what i have collected and saved in folders.The info is of no use to me now but if someone was searching the same surnames as myself they would be able to look at all the info i have on these srnames,ie, births marriage and deaths,and might just find something they have been looking for.Anyway would i be able to do that.Anne. :)
Ayrshire,Kennedy,Faulds,Cuthbert,Crawford,Young,Edgar,Bell
Dundee,Nicol,Cant,Kennedy,Jamison,
Dumfrieshire,Wilson,Maxwell,Lammie,Cowan,Young,

Offline bekahsgran

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 02 July 04 19:58 BST (UK) »
Hi
I already have my site hosted at Rootsweb but be happy to move it to Rootschat providing the limit on page numbers was not restricted. I built my own fro scratch and would be very willing to help others with the building of their own.
I think it will really enhance rootschat, which is already asplendid addition to the genealogy websites around at the moment.
So, Yes, count me in!
Anne
<br /><br />Websdale, Jillings, Lovett, Savage, Egmore, Seymour, Graves, Hustler, Stannard<br />in Norfolk, Suffolk, Cambridgeshire and Lincolnshire<br />Condrit, Condrat, Condrut, Tyler, Hunter and Evans in NSW Australia

http://www.tilneyallsaintsonline.org.uk
Local History for TILNEY ALL SAINTS, Norfolk<br /><br />Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline essexbird2004

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Your free Webpages on RootsChat.com?
« Reply #8 on: Monday 12 July 04 10:51 BST (UK) »
I'd be interested to

also if it had an idiots guide, it took me ages to work out tribalpages and that is very simple ( like me)

Kath x
FEWELL - FEWEL - FUELL -  FUEL ALL AREAS
KENNAIRD - KENNARD - BANCE OF KENT & SUSSEX
DOWNES - TWIN - CHILDS OF ESSEX
DANCE - BROWN OF LONDON
PEARCE - FURZELAND - PARSONS OF SOMERSET
CLARKE - GILOOLLY OF PERTHSHIRE
McHUGH-McHUE-McCUE - GILOOLLY OF IRELAND