Author Topic: How else can I spell Kingwell?  (Read 1951 times)

Offline Jaki

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
How else can I spell Kingwell?
« on: Saturday 11 September 04 11:46 BST (UK) »
Hi

Have been using the free trial of Ancestry to trace some of my ancestors and things have been going great. Found some I had no idea about and found more info about some of those i already knew about.

My question is What are some of the misspellings of the surname Kingwell that i should look under?

I stumbled across one lot I was looking for in 1871 when I found an offshoot of the family .... it was listed as Ringurel and when i saw the original image i could see why. But i have not been able to find one person ... my great great grandmother Sarah Kingwell born about 1817 in Plymouth. Have her in 1851 and 1881 but have not been able to find her in 1871 and 1891. I have tried all variations I can think of .... I have changed K to R, dropped off an l and changed e to i but have had no luck. I would appreciate any other suggestions to search under.

Thanks

Jaki
<i>OK Charles Henry Kingwell when did you arrive in Australia????</i><br /><b>Coates</b> - Warwickshire, Staffordshire??<br /><b>Hall</b> - Warwickshire, Yorkshire<br /><b>Hirst</b> - Yorkshire<br /><b>Kingwell, Bulley, Bunce</b> - Devon<br /><b>Sample</b> - Northumberland, Durham<br /><b>Shipp</b> - Gloucester<br /><b>MacGillivray, Grant, Forbes, McBean</b> - Scotland

Offline suttontrust

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: How else can I spell Kingwell?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 September 04 22:11 BST (UK) »
Just a thought - could you try -mill or -mell instead of -well?  It's easy to confuse m and w in handwriting.
Godden in East Sussex, mainly Hastings area.
Richards in Lea, Gloucestershire, then London.
Williamson in Leith, Vickers in Nottingham.
Webb in Bildeston and Colchester.
Wesbroom in Kirby le Soken.
Ellington in Harwich.
Park, Palmer, Segar and Peartree in Kersey.

Offline Sylviaann

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Isabella Barette
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 September 04 13:05 BST (UK) »
Jaki

I was just about to tell you how I could not find John Williams and his family on  when I thought I would try John William.  What do you know it was the first one I looked at!

Now I can't find my O'Farrells but I've always had trouble with them as they sometimes come under Farrell.

Good luck anyway.  Keep searching while its free.

Sylviaann
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Norfolk: Gooch, Loveday, Lake, Betts
Suffolk: Gooch, Crosby, Turner
Hampshire: Laws, Burrows
Kent: Beer
Jersey: Barette, de Gruchy
East London: Middleton, Gower, O'Farrell, Smith, Weston

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 September 04 17:32 BST (UK) »
The 1871 census is only very partially indexed on Ancestry - much of London and of the West Country is missing right now. As to 1891 are you sure she was still alive? If born in 1817 then she would have been at the great age of 72 and not many survived so long from Regency times to late Victorian.
A further little thought is that you might try Kingswill.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline criggy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 September 04 23:06 BST (UK) »
My search for John & Charlotte Crisp in the 1871 census turned up negative but thanks to RootsChat their children were found living with an aunt, Mary Ann Tainby and several of her children living in London.

I was pleased to have found another relative & searched high & low for her, trying various combinations, Toynbee included, but without success.

Then the other day I looked again at the original printout and thought... could it be... yes it might just be... Lumley! John Crisp's wife's maiden name was Lumley! Couldn't find Mary Ann Lumley in the 1881 census but have found one of her children which verified the name.  :D

However using the free trial I was looking for Derrets in Gloucestershire and some names were listed that I couldn't find at first glance on the original. A William J Derrett was listed as son. I then realised it should have been listed as William J Cole, Head. This entry was the next one under the Derrets! If some poor soul looks for him he would certainly prove difficult to find. Would YOU look up Derrett if you were looking for Cole?

You could try looking for all the Sarah's born in Plymouth. If there are too many then you could try 1818, then 1817, then 1819 etc. Rather labourious but something may stand out.

Having said that I still can't find my Leahy's in the 1901 census. They had lots of children including a Patrick, Cornelius, Kathleen, Francis, Bernard etc but can I find them.....................NO! >:(

All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching London: Crisp, Leahy, Lumley. Berks: Billington, Leahy, Newbury, Yorks: Naylor, Smith, Thackwray, Wilkinson, Lancs: Smith. Leics: Everitt, Marshall, Purcell, Lincs: Bullivant, Everitt, Johnson, Sargeant, Ward. Gloucs: Chard, Coopey, Cowley, Croome, May, Millman, Organ, Savage, Shearman. Ireland: Leahy (Killarny, Kilkenny, Kerry, Cork)

Offline Jaki

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 September 04 00:29 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for all the suggestions. Will try them out later this week, after work and study has stopped interrupting my research.  :D

Hackstaple
Am not really sure if she is still alive in 1891 but did a search on freebmd and there is a death entry for a Sarah Kingwell in 1892 that is the correct age and area and was trying to either rule it out or put it as a possible in my wish list of certificates.

Jaki
<i>OK Charles Henry Kingwell when did you arrive in Australia????</i><br /><b>Coates</b> - Warwickshire, Staffordshire??<br /><b>Hall</b> - Warwickshire, Yorkshire<br /><b>Hirst</b> - Yorkshire<br /><b>Kingwell, Bulley, Bunce</b> - Devon<br /><b>Sample</b> - Northumberland, Durham<br /><b>Shipp</b> - Gloucester<br /><b>MacGillivray, Grant, Forbes, McBean</b> - Scotland

Offline criggy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 September 04 09:00 BST (UK) »
Hi again

Also in Gloucestershire - my Millmans were down as "Hillman" and at one time they lived at "Hingswood" instead of Kingswood. You could try an H which is often confused with K.

criggy
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching London: Crisp, Leahy, Lumley. Berks: Billington, Leahy, Newbury, Yorks: Naylor, Smith, Thackwray, Wilkinson, Lancs: Smith. Leics: Everitt, Marshall, Purcell, Lincs: Bullivant, Everitt, Johnson, Sargeant, Ward. Gloucs: Chard, Coopey, Cowley, Croome, May, Millman, Organ, Savage, Shearman. Ireland: Leahy (Killarny, Kilkenny, Kerry, Cork)

Offline Kazza

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 15 September 04 14:43 BST (UK) »
Hi,

This is a link given elsewhere by Aaron I think:

http://www.last-names.net/Articles/Spelling.asp

It is a page with alternative spellings for names,  you may not find you'rs there,  but there will be some ideas if you are still stuck.

Good Luck,

Kazza.
Welsh Lass
Surname interests:
Clementsten, Hobson, Hole, Marden, O'Clements, Pitten, Sharland, Vickery (Vicary), Williams.

Area Interests:
Cardiff, Bampton, Bideford, Crediton, Wollaston, Somerset, Tidenham, Norway, Australia to Bristol.