Author Topic: 1901 missing people  (Read 4132 times)

Offline Dolphin

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
1901 missing people
« on: Monday 02 February 04 20:28 GMT (UK) »
are the original census pages available for searching, I have family missing, have looked under all christain names, tried many corruptions of the surname
I wonder if they slipped the process somehow ??

comments appreciated

Offline Chris in 1066Land

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Forever Searching, Forever Learning"
    • View Profile
Re:1901 missing people
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 February 04 21:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dolphin

Yes, the original 1901 census details are available to search at your local record office and at places like The Family History Centre in London. (or rather the original enumerators books (on film)are available)

You have to stop and think who were the people who transcribed the 1901 for it to go on line - If my memory serves me correct, it was not done in England or by people who use English as their mother tongue - and all the silly little mistakes in occupation and places verify this.

They will be there somewhere, try doing a 'soundex' search or as some call it a 'fluffy search' have to keep doing.

Look at the name you are trying to find and substitute an 'e' for a 'c' or an 'o' etc;  m or n or r very often get mixed up as well - keep at it till you score a hit.

Chris in 1066Land (Hastings)
One of Rootschats Founder Members RIP 1942-2021
Living at the Heart of English History in 1066Land. 
www.Rootschat.com/history/hastings

Swarbrooke Family Heritage
https://swarbrooke.co.uk

Own Ancestral Website:    http://maythornemill.webs.com                                          
Monumental Sculptures Website:    http://Tombstones.webs.com

Local History Site: http://zouch.webs.com
Baldslow Local History site
http://web.archive.org/web/20140626153455/http://www

Offline Dolphin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 February 04 22:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dolphin

Yes, the original 1901 census details are available to search at your local record office and at places like The Family History Centre in London. (or rather the original enumerators books are available)

You have to stop and think who were the people who transcribed the 1901 for it to go on line - If my memory serves me correct, it was not done in England or by people who use English as their mother tongue - and all the silly little mistakes in occupation and places verify this.

They will be there somewhere, try doing a 'soundex' search or as some call it a 'fluffy search' have to keep doing.

Look at the name you are trying to find and substitute an 'e' for a 'c' or an 'o' etc;  m or n or r very often get mixed up as well - keep at it till you score a hit.

Chris in 1066Land (Hastings)

thanks Chris, the name in question is ORAM
you would have thought that they could have got just four letters right !!

Pat in Clacton Essex

Offline Clio

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 February 04 22:22 GMT (UK) »
I've often wondered about this. Some of my Thorntons and Shepherds are missing from the 1901. I too have tried lots of different deviations but suggestions welcome............Jean
researching Simmons & Griffin in Hastings, Matthias in Denbighshire, Shepherd in London, Jones & Griffiths in North Wales, Thornton & Lamb in Buckley, Williams in Cumberland B.C. Canada and Bursledon Brickworks

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 20 February 04 19:48 GMT (UK) »

Info taken form the 1901 site:

Are any parts missing on the 1901 returns?
Parts of Deal, Kent. You may also find that the odd page has suffered damage and so certain information is missing.  

However, I too have found missing people by "guessing the mistakes".

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Chris1969

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 May 04 08:54 BST (UK) »
I have also failed to find a family in the 1901 Cenus. I later learned where they were living in 1902, and going back found that address is actually missing from the census, although others in the same road are present.

Chris
Name Interests: Wells, La Roche, Skingle, Coleman, Capen, Edmonds, Atkinson, Cox, Brett, Onion, Atwill, Sheldrick, Taylor, Lefebvre, Mecklenburgh
Places: Camberwell, Lambeth, Southwark

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 13 May 04 09:17 BST (UK) »
A tip I found elsewhere ...

Write down the names you are searching on a piece of paper. Use different handwriting styles,  get others to write them too. Then try and guess, and get others to guess, what the handwritten names are.  You can get a lot of variations that way.

Hope this helps
Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline LindaFromOz

• RootsChat Senior
  • IN QUEST OF THE UNKNOWN
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 14 May 04 05:42 BST (UK) »
Hi I have found Jacombs under Hacomby, Ball under Wall, ect. The only way I found these was to put there first name into the search box, with there place of birth (eg Lough*), there age +2 and also the place where they were (eg York*). I have found all my lost ancesters this way.

Happy hunting
Linda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bel_jon68

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 23 June 04 16:30 BST (UK) »
Have read all your suggestions, but still cannot find my EVANS family...

John Evans (head) - farmer in 1911, probably also in 1901
Martha Annie Evans (dau) b 1889
Polly Evans (dau) b 1896?
Winifred Evans (dau) b 1898/9? (d 1983 aged c84)
Name of wife unknown
No other siblings known

Winifred was born in Garthmyl (near Berriew, Montgomeryshire).  I don't know where the other two daughters were born, but I've found them (possibly) on FreeBMD all under the same registration district.

I have tried searching for each of them, using various spellings of their forenames, including keywords etc etc, and also under an address where Winnie lived for 74 years.  

Has anyone any suggestions as to how EVANS could be misread by a non-English person???  (Have tried substituting E with other letters, but no luck.)

Thanks

Bel
Researching
ARTHUR, ROBERTS, LEWIS and WILLIAMS in Denbighshire/Merionethshire/Glamorgan
EVANS and JONES in Montgomeryshire
FALLOW(E)S, JONES, PREECE and GITTON in Shropshire
and the list keeps growing...
(March 2006) Now looking for HINKS, SPARKES, INGRAM from West Midlands area