Author Topic: Stoddart  (Read 4873 times)

Offline stod

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Stoddart
« on: Friday 14 May 04 12:40 BST (UK) »
G'day all,

I'm a beginner and new to the site and looking for assistance.

I do believe from my departed grandfather that our family of Stoddarts originated in Fowlis Wester in Perthshire. However my main problem is set out below. I can't go on unless I resolve this issue.

The LDS IGI shows that my g/g/g/grandparents marriage as a double up in dates. They have John Stoddart  m: Mary Brown in Dunblane as both 1811 and 1814.

Q: How would this come about and which one would be correct?
Q: Is there a chance that it is pure coincidence and that there were two couples with the same names ?? ( I doubt it ).

Over and above that I still cannot locate where John Stoddart was born or who his parents were.
Anybody assist with this ????

All the best

Warren Stoddart
NSW Aust.
Stoddart - Laird - Sharp - McAree - Brown -

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re:Stoddart
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 May 04 13:59 BST (UK) »

A case in point about treating the IGI as a guide, not a definitive reference. Check the original record(s). These you should be able to order on film from your LDS centre.

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Searching4

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stoddart
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 November 13 23:02 GMT (UK) »
With reference to your questions about two recorded dates for the marriage of your ancestor:  I encountered this as well, and discovered through later readings, that a couple sometimes married TWICE if they were from different parishes - once in the parish of each partner.

I have Stothard ancestors from Crieff, Perthshire, via a distant cousin: Nicola(s) Rose.   She was also born in that area, but her parents emigrated to Australia when she was a young child. Nicolas returned to Scotland (to her maternal g'parents) as a young woman, and later married Wm Stothard.  I wonder if we have a connection with this group?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 November 13 23:14 GMT (UK) »
With reference to your questions about two recorded dates for the marriage of your ancestor:  I encountered this as well, and discovered through later readings, that a couple sometimes married TWICE if they were from different parishes - once in the parish of each partner.
Are you sure this is not the banns being read in the parish of bride and groom rather than 2 separate marriage ceremonies?

The LDS IGI shows that my g/g/g/grandparents marriage as a double up in dates. They have John Stoddart  m: Mary Brown in Dunblane as both 1811 and 1814.
Q: How would this come about and which one would be correct?
Q: Is there a chance that it is pure coincidence and that there were two couples with the same names ?? ( I doubt it ).
Always best to look at original record if possible. These seem to be the 2 records you've found- perhaps the year is difficult to read and in one place it's been transcribed as 1811 but in another as 1814.
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XY3Q-4QV
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XYWK-7XT
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Searching4

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 November 13 23:56 GMT (UK) »

I have Stothard ancestors from Crieff, Perthshire, via a distant cousin: Nicola(s) Rose.   She was also born in that area, but her parents emigrated to Australia when she was a young child. Nicolas returned to Scotland (to her maternal g'parents) as a young woman, and later married Wm Stothard.  I wonder if we have a connection with this group?

Are you sure this is not the banns being read in the parish of bride and groom rather than 2 separate marriage ceremonies?"

With two different ancestral couples, I found separate weddings in differing parishes.  It drove me crazy trying to sort out which record to accept, and how people with exactly the same names could be marrying a few days, or a few weeks apart. When I read about the sometimes custom of marrying twice when marrying outside one's own parish, it finally made sense.

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 November 13 03:40 GMT (UK) »
I searched on Scotland's People http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/search/oprmarriage/index.aspx
for a marriage between John Stoddart and Mary Brown in Dunblane.
I got 1 match for a marriage in 1811 and no matches for a marriage in 1814.

regards,
   Ros

I tried Stoddard and any parish in Perth for an 1814 marriage and no match.
And fuzzy matching on Stoddard and any district for an 1814 marriage and no match.

Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 November 13 11:01 GMT (UK) »
Just adding this for reference. Warren's original post was in 2004. He may well have found the answers by now to his original questions....

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 November 13 11:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Monica  :) I hadn't noticed that.  Such a long time ago.  I had run out of credits on scotlands people but was seriously considering getting more to find out the info on that marriage cert for stod.

cheers,
   Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland