Author Topic: SUSSEX marriage index up to 1837  (Read 6860 times)

Offline ard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
SUSSEX marriage index up to 1837
« on: Monday 26 July 04 23:37 BST (UK) »
Hello,
Would you have listed the marriage of a John TOMLIN of Hastings to a Harriet (Woolven?), somewhere in the last half of the 1820s?

Also of another earlier John TOMLIN who married ?? sometime before 1778...

(I do have the John TOMLIN in between who married Mary DAVIS in 1800, Hastings!

Much thanks!!
ard
CNL.DVN:Knight;Jenkins;Bray;Harvey;West;Judd;Menhinnit;Griffin;Harding;Williams;Goman;Cock;Leach;Martin;Hewett.*KNT:Foster;Piper.*ESSX:Smith;Baker;Hawkins;Everitt;Spurgeon;Wellens. *MDX:Gruber;Shortland;Dukes;Cooper;Appelton;Watts;Hooper;Neale;Ricketts.*LCN:Burton;Blackburn;Walters;*SCOT:Blair;Dick;Stevenson;Williamson;Halliday;;Gilchrist;Leggat;Davies;Frew;Pollock;Richmond;Houston;McLachlan,Gemmel/Giemle,Clerk*NI:Ferguson;Boyd.*DEU:Gruber,Henne,Hohln(Württemberg)Hoffmann(Birkenfeld)

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
Re: SUSSEX marriage index up to 1837
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 July 04 10:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Ard,
I have,  John TOMLIN married Harriet WOOLVEN June 17 1826, All Saints, Hollington, E. Sussex.  He is described as bachelor from St. Mary S.C., Harriet as spinster also of this parish.

For your other query, the nearest I have is John TOMBLEN married jane WOOD, Bishopstone, E. Sussex August 8 1768.  He was from Newhaven & jane of this parish.

Hope this helps,
Jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching BRABY/BRAVERY in SURREY and SUSSEX

PLEASE use the look-up requests page not a personal message.

Offline ard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 July 04 16:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Jane. It does help and l'll look into the second... this is my in-laws family, which I'm a little less familiar with, so I will also pass it on.
Thanks for the look-up offer. It's much appreciated!!
ard
CNL.DVN:Knight;Jenkins;Bray;Harvey;West;Judd;Menhinnit;Griffin;Harding;Williams;Goman;Cock;Leach;Martin;Hewett.*KNT:Foster;Piper.*ESSX:Smith;Baker;Hawkins;Everitt;Spurgeon;Wellens. *MDX:Gruber;Shortland;Dukes;Cooper;Appelton;Watts;Hooper;Neale;Ricketts.*LCN:Burton;Blackburn;Walters;*SCOT:Blair;Dick;Stevenson;Williamson;Halliday;;Gilchrist;Leggat;Davies;Frew;Pollock;Richmond;Houston;McLachlan,Gemmel/Giemle,Clerk*NI:Ferguson;Boyd.*DEU:Gruber,Henne,Hohln(Württemberg)Hoffmann(Birkenfeld)

Offline ard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 August 04 17:29 BST (UK) »
Jane wrote:
Hi Ard,
I have,  John TOMLIN married Harriet WOOLVEN June 17 1826, All Saints, Hollington, E. Sussex.  He is described as bachelor from St. Mary S.C., Harriet as spinster also of this parish.

For your other query, the nearest I have is John TOMBLEN married jane WOOD, Bishopstone, E. Sussex August 8 1768.  He was from Newhaven & jane of this parish.

Hope this helps,
Jane

Hi Jane, I have a  couple of questions:
Do you know where St. Mary S.C is ?(or what S.C. stands for?)

The other question is because I was told by someone who has been to Hollington that there were only two churces in there,  and that neither of them were "All Saints".
So I was wondering if the records show that they were actually married in Hollington (perhaps at a different church,) or if they were definately married in the ALL SAINTS church, wherever the closest was (Hastings?). As I understand it, in modern times Hollington is just part of greater Hastings now.

cheers,
ard

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 07 August 04 19:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Ard,
My apologies, I don't know where I got the All Saints from, I must have been looking at something else as I typed it up.  It just says the marriage took place at Hollington, E. Sussex.
I wondered myself what St. Mary S.C was.  It doesn't have it on the abbreviations table on the CD.  It must be a parish.  The best thing to do would be to ask on the Sussex message board, Chris1066land would be the one to answer that, he seems to know everything about that area.
Sorry if I've had you scratching your head over the All Saints issue :-[
Jane

Offline ard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 07 August 04 21:48 BST (UK) »
Oh well, that's one mystery solved. I'll see what I can find on the other. Thanks for such a quick reply!

ard.

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 08 August 04 10:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Ard,
Your welcome.  You might like to check out the Sussex parish page at the Sussex Family History Group   http://www.sfhg.org.uk/newmap_of_parishes.html
I've just had a quick look.  No mention of St. Mary SC as such, so that's still a mystery.  For Hollongton they have a St. James Silverdale (1877), St. John (1870) & St. Leonard (1636) so it looks like St. Leonard's is the oldest church.  I did find a St. Mary for Brighton (1871) though.
I've REALLY gotta know what that SC stands for, so let me know if you find out.
Jane

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 08 August 04 11:16 BST (UK) »
Jane and ard,

I don't know for certain about the SC, but there is a parish in Hastings called St. Mary-in-the-Castle (established 1828).  I wonder if it is like St. John-sub-Castro in Lewes, although my Latin tells me that "sub" means under.  I wonder if it was St. Mary-super-Castro meaning "in" or "at the castle" (although no idea if that ending is the correct one or not).  Could this be the origin of "SC" ?

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 09 August 04 07:24 BST (UK) »
Sounds very feasable Nell.  I've often wondered about that title, 'sub-castro' when i've seen it on the message board.  We'll have to wait for Chris1066 to get back off his hols,
Jane