Author Topic: How relevant is info from LDS site  (Read 1650 times)

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
How relevant is info from LDS site
« on: Tuesday 03 August 04 07:19 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,
I have found a whole bunch - more like SS Rhonda's hedge ;D , of possible reles way back to 1687 with information of the submitter  given as Australia (don't want to post the actual address or name because don't know if he's still alive or not) heeding all the warnings from this site and others I understand that this is not to be taken as gospel but how reliable is it likely to be? The information is from the Pedigree Resource File,  the IGI, and Ancestral File.
How can I contact the submitter? How should I verify this information?
Thanx, Newbie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MeganWilber

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: How relevant is info from LDS site
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 August 04 07:35 BST (UK) »
The information I think should be considered more a starting point.  These family type files have been submitted by individuals sharing their information.  I have found much information there on my family, some correct, some not at all correct.

As I said it is great for a starting point.  You can take note of the information and then do further research to see how accurate it is.  If there is a name/address you could try writing to the submitter as well to see if they have more proof of the dates they have.  For contacting the submitter.  If there is an address listed you can write to them.  If there just a name, you could try looking them up in the on-line white pages for a phone number (though you will probably come up with many names).  If there is nothing in the submitted by area then I am afraid there may be no way to contact the submitter.

To verify information you could always look through census records or try locating birth/marriage/death certificates. 

The best thing to remember is that even legal documents can be incorrect and the LDS has some pretty old and out of date information.
Benbow, Davis, Dickerson, Fischer, Heft, Huey, Liddell/Liddle, Majiski, Moehnke, Molnowski, Pardue, Rauch, West, Wilber.

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 August 04 11:56 BST (UK) »
Hiya,

I've found a few families submitted on IGI that link into mine.  Same as Megan I've had mixed quality.

How I approach them depends on the years the individuals were alive. 

If I can check the OPR or Statutory reg for the family submitted then I do it.  But if they pre-date that then I would try to find if the submitter had a website.

If they are techie enough to submit to the LDS my theory is they could still be around and there research may be on a site somewhere.  Or they may have asked questions on another web (rootsweb, Ancestor.com, or here!)

I would never approach anyone with the attitude of checking their research just out of interest of sharing info.

I also think the submitted entries are available on film - do you get any extra info that way?  Just a thought.

P ;D
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 August 04 15:47 BST (UK) »
Hi, Thank you for the information, I'm now planning my next trip to the Record office to verify some of the information, as I thought - take it in, acknowledge it's existence but verify for yourself before accepting.
I followed your advice, and did a google search Pam (I remembered you did a post about that a while ago) and up popped the submitters site! Now how lucky was I! ;D

Thanks again
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 August 04 15:56 BST (UK) »
...  and up popped the submitters site! Now how lucky was I! ;D

Excellent!  I'd say very lucky...

I know my mum's cousin has done his but I can't find any trace.  I need to track him down, it would be great to compare since nearly all of mine should be in his tree.

P ;D
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Offline EmPers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 10 August 04 20:12 BST (UK) »
The information there certainly is of mixed quality. A link to my research clearly showed someone didn't care much for the facts of life. It showed a couple with 3 children born in the space of 6 months!
WEST, PROCTOR - Fillongley, Warwickshire
CLARK(E) - Aston, Warks & Leicestershire
BETTERIDGE & THORNTON - Oxfordshire
FISHER -  Bromsgrove, Worcs,
SLAUGHTER - Evesham, Worc s & Birmingham

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 10 August 04 21:12 BST (UK) »

Some of my Hubbies rellies are in the Pedigree Resource File.  The submitter has one lady as deceased when she is very much alive and another as 'living' and she passed away in 1964.. I did manage to contact the person concerned but despite a polite reply the details remain unaltered on the site.
Suey
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline Mistyrose41

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 10 August 04 21:36 BST (UK) »
Hello Newbie,
                       When I first started to research my Taylors from Kent. I logged into the LDS site and could not believe my eyes when the ancestral files brought up my great Grandfather and 2 more generations. The summitters name and address was there {in Australia}. I remember my mother telling me that one of her aunts had emigrated to Canada but I didn't know of any Australian connections. I have since checked this information out and I have verified it to my 2nd G.Grandfather. So it is always worth looking at but I do think you need to double check.

Mistyrose
Wiltshire:  Cricklade, West Knoyle.
Names:Newman,  Mead.
Somerset: Hinton St. George, Lopen, Cricket St. Thomas, Hornblotton.
Names: Brook, Cranton, England, Mead.
Kent: Lympne, Dymchurch, Smeeth.
Names:: Taylor, Glayzier, Tebbles, Newman, Idenden.
Surrey: Hersham, Walton on Thames, Great Bookham, Byfleet, Stoke D'Abernon, Thames Ditton, Esher.
Pyrford.Wonersh.Dunsfold.
Names: Foster, Newman, Glashier, Brown, Bond, Morum, Pantling, Mead.
Middlesex: Littleton, Shepperton.
Names: Newman