Author Topic: Lost my g-grandad in 1901  (Read 2358 times)

Offline TonyR

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Lost my g-grandad in 1901
« on: Friday 13 August 04 10:18 BST (UK) »
Hello, I know it's careless of me but I've lost GEORGE WILLIAM DAY in 1901 from Barrow-in-Furness.  He was born 1865 in Hunslet, Leeds & I have his 1881 & 1891 details for Barrow.  His wife is still recorded as married in 1901 and as I cannot see a death index for him I'm stuck.  I've done all the variations on his name, age, birthplace that I can think of for 1901, so rather hoping he hasn't 'done-a-bunk' and gone abroad.    Does anyone know how to search the hospitals/prisons etc in 1901 for him or have any ideas what to do next?  Thanks for your time.  TonyR
Rooney Carlow/Wicklow to Dublin to Belfast to Birmingham. Johnston & Smyth Co Down. Crowe & Ryan Tipperary. Day, Rhodes & Johnston Barrow-in-Furness. Day, Bailey & Page Bedford. Day & Mead Somerset. Rhodes, White & Taylor Swadlincote. Reynolds Haverfordwest. Weekly Fishguard. Barzey Wales.

Offline Nicky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lost my g-grandad in 1901
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 August 04 10:22 BST (UK) »
Hi
You say his wife is listed on the 1901, what is her name and is she listed as a widow or married?
Nicky
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Sewell - Surrey<br />Lynch - Ireland, Devon and Channel Islands<br />Whall and Pye - Norwich, Essex and Kent<br />Cotterill - Warwickshire<br />Adams - North and East Riding of Yorkshire<br />Preest, Dufty Lewis, Aston - Forest of Dean

Offline barbarai

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 August 04 10:29 BST (UK) »
hi
I don't know about the prisons but the hospitals are all in the 1901 census already.
I also couldn't find one of my ancestors in 1901, it turned out that he was fighting in the Boer war  (1899- 1902) Could this be what happened to yours?. Mine wasn't a career soldier so i was suprised to find this out.
Barbarai
Phillips- monmouthshire & Kent, Ilsley- Berkshire & London, Reed- Lambeth & London, Drake- London, Eke- Norfolk, Martin-London,Gilson- Essex, Hubbard-Suffolk, Pevan-Russia, Gordon-I.O.W & Kent, Richardson-London & Essex, Willis-Bristol & London, Arthur -Devon & London, Burch-Beds & Herts., Bunce-Bucks & Herts, Hewey- London.

Offline TonyR

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 August 04 10:33 BST (UK) »
Hello Nicky, her name is ALICE DAY age 35 & she is down as married, living at 48 Ferry Road, Barrow with the four children and four boarders.  TonyR
Rooney Carlow/Wicklow to Dublin to Belfast to Birmingham. Johnston & Smyth Co Down. Crowe & Ryan Tipperary. Day, Rhodes & Johnston Barrow-in-Furness. Day, Bailey & Page Bedford. Day & Mead Somerset. Rhodes, White & Taylor Swadlincote. Reynolds Haverfordwest. Weekly Fishguard. Barzey Wales.

Offline TonyR

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 13 August 04 10:40 BST (UK) »
Hello barbarai, I had thought of him going off to war but because he had four kids thought it unlikely, so am just trying to exhaust all possibilities here first.  In fact I have another grandad who was in the Boer War.  Did you manage to get much info on your ancestor's service in the war from anywhere?  I've just written to a lady who supposedly has info on soldiers who were in the war  TonyR

Offline barbarai

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 13 August 04 16:21 BST (UK) »
Tony
It was my 2x gt. grandfather George Baker, he also had three children, i have not yet found his military records, and because he was an officer that survived the war there is no information on him on any web site, only on those that died, and i have no idea how to go about finding it either! sorry i'm not much help on that.
Barbarai
Phillips- monmouthshire & Kent, Ilsley- Berkshire & London, Reed- Lambeth & London, Drake- London, Eke- Norfolk, Martin-London,Gilson- Essex, Hubbard-Suffolk, Pevan-Russia, Gordon-I.O.W & Kent, Richardson-London & Essex, Willis-Bristol & London, Arthur -Devon & London, Burch-Beds & Herts., Bunce-Bucks & Herts, Hewey- London.

Offline M.T.H

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 21 August 04 19:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Tony R and Barbarai,

Here are some links that might help you with the research of your Boer War ancestors  :)

http://freespace.virgin.net/anglers.rest/BWInfo.htm

http://hometown.aol.co.uk/kevinasplin/home.html

http://www.boer-war-medals.co.uk/homepage.html

Good luck and happy hunting,Mick ;)
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

British Military History