Author Topic: missing Dumfries 1881 census  (Read 5918 times)

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
missing Dumfries 1881 census
« on: Saturday 21 August 04 15:50 BST (UK) »
Just a bit of info for anyone looking for Dumfries family on the 1881 census I have learnd that part of Dumfries
 is missing from the census part of the filmn was lost
audrey

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
Re: missing Dumfries 1881 census
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 September 04 14:39 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I got this from the Archive of the Dumfries and Galloway list on Roosweb, posted by John Jardine...

They [the missing EDs] were EDs 13 through 27.  I found the following handwritten note after ED 7 and before ED 8 on LDS film
0224047:

"Dumfries 13-27 not found in Basement Rooms at removal."  As to which Basement Rooms, I do not know.  Edinburgh?  Dumfries?

EDs 1 through 12 cover most but not all of Greyfriars and St Mary's Parishes.  None of the EDs for St Michael's Parish survived.  My best guess is that over 50% of the population of the Burgh is NOT enumerated in the surviving EDs.  Perhaps a more knowledgeable Lister has a better assessment.

Below is a listing of the Enumeration Districts on the film and the streets that are included in each ED:

ED 1 - Part of Greyfriars Parish - parts of: Castle St., Church Place, Church Crescent, Academy St., Nithmount Terrace, Buccleuch St., Irving St., Gordon St., George St., Charlotte St., Burgh Police Station

ED 2 - Part of Greyfriars Parish - parts of: Bridge St., Brewrey St., Friars Vennel, St. David St., Buccleuch St., County Prison

ED 3 - Part of Greyfriars Parish - parts of: Buccleuch St., Castle St.,
Friars Vennel, Greyfriars St., St. David St., St. Andrew St., Queensberry St., Church Crescent

ED 4 - Part of Greyfriars Parish - parts of: High St., Chapel St., Church Place, St Andrew St., Queensberry St., Queensberry Square

ED 5 - Part of Greyfriars Parish - parts of: Friars Vennel, Irish St., Bank St., Whitesands, Brewrey St., Bridge St.

ED 6 - Part of Greyfriars Parish - parts of: Friars Vennel, High St., Long Close, Irish St.

ED 7 - Part of Greyfriars Parish - parts of: Long Close, High St.,
Midsteeples Buildings, Turnpike Close, Bank St., Irish St.

ED 8 - Part of Greyfriars Parish - parts of: Academy St., Queensberry St., Queensberry Square, King St., Loreburn St.

ED 9 - Part of Greyfriars Parish - parts of: Loreburn St., Nichol Rae's Close, Union St., High St., Queensberry Square, Queensberry St., King St.

ED 10 - Part of St Mary's Parish - parts of: Nichol Rae's Close, South Queensberry St., Union St., High St., English St., Loreburn St.

ED 11 - Part of St Marys Parish - parts of: English St., Shakespeare St., Queen St.

ED 12 - Part of St Mary's Parish - parts of: Queen St., English St., High St., Shakespeare St.

I hope this helps anyone frustrated with disappearing ancestors in Dumfries during the 1881 Census.

My lot are missing at Locharbriggs  :(

Cheers,
Pam
 ;D

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!